St. Peter the Apostle is a family-oriented, faith-filled parish. We are located in the Third Ward area of Houston within the Archdiocese of Galveston/Houston near the neighboring college campuses of University of Houston (Central Campus), Texas Southern University and the Medical Center of Houston. Our parish offers Daily Mass at 8:10 AM and three weekend Masses including a Spanish language mass at 12;20 pm, as well as opportunities for reception of all other sacraments.
Our parish provides opportunities in pastoral and educational ministry for children, youth and adults to enrich the spiritual life of all. The programs and services of the parish continue to grow to meet the needs of our parishioners and the community.
The parishioners, clergy and staff of the parish strive to be faithful to the mission of Christ through its liturgical, educational and social service ministries. Each new parishioner adds a richness to our faith community which allows us to more fully reflect the Body of Christ in today’s society. As our mission statement says, we are “Inviting and Welcoming Everyone in Jesus Christ for the Salvation of All“.
St. Peter the Apostle Catholic Church was established in 1941 by Bishop Christopher Byrne and placed under the pastoral care of the Missionary Fathers of Our Lady of La Salette. The first Mass was offered on June 1, 1941.
Our school opened in June 1942 with students from grades one through seven. During this period it was staffed by the Dominican Sisters.
The La Salette Fathers served our parish until 1984. The Society of St. Joseph of the Sacred Heart (the Josephites) took up the pastoral leadership of St. Peter’s until September 30, 1997. On October 1 1997, the Missionary Society of St. Paul (MSP), took over the pastoral care of St. Peter the Apostle.
St. Peter’s continues to be under the pastoral care of the Missionary Society of St. Paul Priests.